Over several years, oatmeal has consistently been recommended for breakfast. It will reduce your waistline while giving you energy for a full morning. This porridge evolved as more scientific nutrional information was published. For example, maple syrup replaces brown sugar that was in the original version. Also, apparently the cinnamon brings out beneficial nutrients in the oatmeal. Buckwheat, chia and hemp are recent additions.
Modify to suit your taste.
Makes about 10 cups.
- Boiling water
- Rolled oats
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Buckwheat groats
- Almonds or almond flour
- Walnut bits
- Cocoa powder
- Olive oil or butter
- Maple syrup or honey
- Apples, Granny Smith
- Pear, Bosc
- Blueberries, frozen
Mix Dry Ingredients
Mix together the dry ingredients and put in a large stock pot:
- rolled oats, 3 cups (750 mlMililitre)
- flax, 0.5 cuCup (175 ml)
- buckwheat groats (the flour has an iffy taste), 0.25 cu (87.5 ml)
- chia seeds, 0.25 cu (87.5 ml)
- hemp seeds, 0.25 cu (87.5 ml)
- cinnamon, 5 tspTeaspoon (25 ml)
- cardamom, 5 tsp
- nutmeg, 1.5 tsp (7.5 ml) tsp
- cocoa powder, 3 tblsp (45 ml)
- salt, 1.5 (7.5 ml) tsp
- almonds (sliced) or almond flour, 200 ggram
- walnut bits, 200 g
Slice, chop,dice or blend and add to stock pot:
- 2 apples
- 1 pear
- 2 bananas
Add to stock pot and mix:
- 1 litre milk
Mix together and add to stock pot and stir:
- 500 ml boiling water (to well disperse the maple syrup)
- 50 ml maple syrup (if you use honey a larger quantity may be required)
- 1 tblsp olive oil or melted butter
Put the pot on very low heat and cook about 20 minutes. Stir frequently until it pops steam bubbles and reaches desired consistency. If you don’t stir it will stick to the pot and burn on the bottom. Don't say you weren't warned!
To stir you can use a traditional spurtle or maybe just a big kitchen spoon. Taste as you go and sweeten to taste, the apples make it a bit tart.
Scoop porridge into microwave containers. Freeze or refrigerate. Porridge will keep forever.
Thaw servings in the fridge overnight. Add 4-5 tblsp of frozen blueberries on top. Zap in the microwave for around 2 minutes, depending on your machine.